SID dependent program not working on another computer- Closed!

Johncoool

Extraordinary Member
Unable to apply the backup of a program on a new computer.

I backed up the settings of a program on one PC and when I try to restore the settings on another PC it does not allow because the SID changed.

How can I get it to work even though that is the issue.

This issue can be complex as it involves Windows SID (Security Identifier), which is not supposed to be changed or duplicated on another system. Here's few suggestions that may help you:

### Method 1: Modify Program Settings Manually ###

If these settings are manageable and not too complex, you can manually adjust the settings of this program on the new computer. This approach is more secure and should work effectively, provided you know the configurations from the old system.

### Method 2: Use Migration Tools ###

You could use tools specifically designed for this purpose such as User State Migration Tool (USMT) provided by Microsoft. These kinds of tools are developed to synthesize user's state from one computer and then transform it in order to use on another computer.

### Method 3: Adapt the Software ###

Sometimes, the program may have an built-in method to adapt to the new SID, or it might ignore the SID on environmental changes and function according to the program settings. Checking the software user manual or contacting the software customer support might give you valuable answers.

### Method 4: Editing Backup ###

Using this method demands extreme caution as it includes altering the backup. Here, you would alter the SID in your backup file, replace it with the SID from the new computer, and then restore it. Please note that this operation is risky and can cause serious issues if not done correctly.

Please remember these options may not work if the program was written to tie itself to a specific SID. In such instances, you can contact the software manufacturer's support for a solution. Or you might need to consider reinstalling the software and recreating the settings within the software instead of trying to restore it from a backup.

Let me know if you need more help, or if any of these solutions worked for you!

Back
Chat with our AI Assistant ×