WiFi dropping connection every few minutes

Ethanmiller

Does anyone know how to fix this? I’m seemingly connected to wifi but the sites I visit say there’s no internet.
image.jpg

Hello,

Your issue might be related to a variety of factors. Let's try to troubleshoot it step-by-step:

1. **Reset Your Network:**
- Open the 'Settings' application (or press Windows Key+I)
- Navigate to 'Network & Internet' > 'Status'
- Scroll down and click on 'Network Reset'
This will reinstall your network adapters and set your networking components back to their default settings. Your computer will restart after this process.

2. **Update Network Adapter Drivers:**
- Right-click the Windows key and select 'Device Manager'
- expand 'Network adapters'
- right-click on the wifi adapter and select 'Update driver'
If the problem persists after this, try downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

3. **Flush DNS and Reset TCP/IP:**
Sometimes this problem can be caused by DNS or IP settings. Try these commands to reset them:
- Search Command Prompt in Start Menu, Right-click to run it as an administrator.
- Type the following commands one by one and press Enter after each:
`ipconfig /release`
`ipconfig /flushdns`
`ipconfig /renew`
`netsh int ip set dns`
`netsh winsock reset`
- Restart your computer

4. **Configure your wireless adapter settings:**
- Open the 'Settings' app
- Navigate to 'Network & Internet' > 'WiFi' > 'Hardware properties'
- Write down the name and manufacturer of your adapter
- Open the 'Power Options' from Control Panel
- Find your power plan and click on 'Change plan settings'
- Click on 'Change advanced power settings'
- Locate your wireless adapter in the list and set it to 'Maximum Performance'

5. **Change the WiFi channel:**
If you have a lot of devices connected to the same WiFi channel, it can cause problems with your connection. You need to login to your router's admin and set the WiFi channel to either 1, 6 or 11 as these are the least overlapping channels.
Another good practice is to place your router in a central location in your home and keep it away from walls and metal objects, as these can interfere with your WiFi signal.

If none of the above helps, your problem might be related to your router or internet service provider, so consider reaching out to them for assistance. Let us know if the issue remains, we are here to help.

Hello,

Your issue might be related to a variety of factors. Let's try to troubleshoot it step-by-step:

This will reinstall your network adapters and set your networking components back to their default settings. Your computer will restart after this process.

If the problem persists after this, try downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Sometimes this problem can be caused by DNS or IP settings. Try these commands to reset them:
- Search Command Prompt in Start Menu, Right-click to run it as an administrator.
`ipconfig /release`
`ipconfig /flushdns`
`ipconfig /renew`
`netsh int ip set dns`
`netsh winsock reset`
- Restart your computer

If you have a lot of devices connected to the same WiFi channel, it can cause problems with your connection. You need to login to your router's admin and set the WiFi channel to either 1, 6 or 11 as these are the least overlapping channels.
Another good practice is to place your router in a central location in your home and keep it away from walls and metal objects, as these can interfere with your WiFi signal.

If none of the above helps, your problem might be related to your router or internet service provider, so consider reaching out to them for assistance. Let us know if the issue remains, we are here to help.
That doesn’t work because I always have to disconnect just for it to sometimes work again.

That doesn’t work because I always have to disconnect just for it to sometimes work again.
I apologize for the inconvenience you're going through. The continuous need to disconnect and reconnect your Wi-Fi suggests potential issues related to the Wi-Fi's signal strength, your device's network settings, or even the Wi-Fi adapter itself. Here are additional steps to consider:

1. **Check Wi-Fi Signal Strength:**
A weak Wi-Fi signal results in unstable internet connections. Ensure your device is not out of your Wi-Fi signal's optimal range, and try to minimize the number of obstructions between your device and the router.

2. **Check for Interferences:**
Other electronic devices or Wi-Fi networks may interfere with your Wi-Fi signal if they're operating on the same frequency. You can try changing the channel on your router if your device supports it, which might help reduce interference.

3. **Disable and Enable Wi-Fi Adapter:**
Go to the 'Control Panel' > 'Network and Internet' > 'Network and Sharing Center' > 'Change adapter settings', right-click your Wi-Fi, and select Disable. Wait for a few minutes before re-enabling it. This process often helps re-establish a stable connection.

4. **Reconfigure your DHCP settings:**
- Go to the 'Network and Sharing Center' and click on your Wi-Fi connection.
- Click on 'Properties' > 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)' > 'Properties'
- Ensure both 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' are selected.

5. **Turn off Power Saving Mode for Your Wireless Adapter:**
Go to 'Device Manager' > 'Network Adapters'. Right-click your wireless adapter and click 'Properties' > 'Power Management'. Untick 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'.

6. **Re-install the Wi-Fi Adapter:**
Go to 'Device Manager' > 'Network Adapters', right-click your wireless adapter, and select 'Uninstall'. Restart your computer to automatically install the adapter again.

In case none of these steps work, let us know. At times, this issue can be caused by a faulty Wi-Fi adapter or router, or even by issues from your Internet Service Provider. Such cases would require additional measures.

Hello,

`ipconfig /release`
`ipconfig /flushdns`
`ipconfig /renew`
`netsh int ip set dns`
`netsh winsock reset`
- Restart your computer

Thanks for the advice. I often have problems with my Internet connection. This really irritates me. I'll try to do something. Or I’ll contact your internet provider’s support.

Thanks for the advice. I often have problems with my Internet connection. This really irritates me. I'll try to do something. Or I’ll contact your internet provider’s support.
I'm sorry to hear about the ongoing issues with your Internet connection. It can indeed be frustrating. To recap, the steps I suggested should help resolve potential issues on your computer. However, if the problem persists:

1. If you have other devices (like another laptop, smartphone, tablet, etc.) try connecting them to the same Wi-Fi network to see if they also experience the same problem. If they do, it's highly likely that the issue lies with your router or your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

2. If the problem is isolated to only one device (your current computer), and none of the given solutions have worked, you might consider having your device checked for potential hardware issues with the Wi-Fi card/adapter.

Contacting your ISP's customer support can also be a good move as they can check whether the issue is on their end or assist you further with troubleshooting your connection.

Don't feel disheartened, issues with internet connectivity are quite common and there's always a solution. Please keep us posted on your progress and we're here to assist you more if needed!

Back