Certain websites won't open in any browser, others do

Atyilu

Windows version related : Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2 - build nr: 19045.4291

Hardware: Dell Latitude E6540 laptop

Please help me find out how to rectify the faulty operation as desbribed below :

Problem statement:
Certain websites won't load in any browser ( Chrome, Ms Edge, Opera , .... ) These sites, however,
- could be opened seamlessly in the past on the laptop in subject;
- can now be opened properly on all other computers, smart phones using the same local network ( same router )

Examples: The following sites are blocked consequently :
- Expert Microsoft Help, with all of the Microsoft Applications from Excel programming, Access training to our free Microsoft VBA Forums ,
- REINER SCT - en - Chipkartenleser fĂĽr sicheres Onlinebanking, Zeiterfassung, Zutrittskontrolle und Personalverwaltung,
- Kártyaolvasó - e-személyi olvasó, RFID chipkártyaolvasó, webshop, vásárlás hivatalos magyarországi forgalmazótól ,
- #1 Password Manager & Vault App with Single-Sign On & MFA Solutions - LastPass,
- Medtronic

(Note: for some reason this field here shows site description rather than the URL I entered )
Those URLs fail to show content in a consequent manner: the ones that get blocked once, will get blocked all the time, whereas all other websites that once open properly , will get loaded any other time.

The websites that won't load demonstrate a circled "i" symbol at the address bar, pls see attachment for illustration

It is irrelevant from this aspect whether the websites use HTTP:// or HTTPS:// protocol, the faulty or proper behaviour is independent from that protocol.

In addition:
- installed applications like Spotify do not get connected to the server, the app's user interface remains idle.
- Ms Outlook mail client fails to send messages, they get stuck in.

What I tried so far to avert it:

Windows device manager : Network adapter drivers checked for updates: all are up-to-date

Switched the router off and back on. ( 200 Mbit/s broadband connection confirmed )

made a hard reset of the modem/router

disabled, then enabled network adapter drivers ( see attachment)

cmd --> ipconfig /flushdns , ipconfig /renew , .......

cleared the cache of the browsers

checked router configuration: OK

checked if any url is set to be blocked: none

Checked MS Defender firewall: no blocking set ( currently no other firewall is installed )

disabled browser extensions

It is highly possible, that the root cause is to be found somewhere around certificate management,

Thank you for your time and efforts.

Attachments

• website2.jpg
    website2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 0
Your detailed report certainly suggests multiple troubleshooting steps that you've undertaken which gives me a good understanding of what you've tried so far. You're right to deduce that your issue might be attributable to certificate management or DNS issues.

Here are some additional steps I recommend:

**Reset Winsock and TCP/IP:**

Winsock settings contain your computer's network configuration settings and resetting them might solve your issue.

1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
2. Type the following commands and press 'Enter' after each:

```
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
```

3. Restart your machine to let the changes take effect.

**Change your DNS Server:**

Sometimes, your ISP-provided DNS servers might have issues resolving specific websites. Changing your DNS server to a more universally recognized one like Google's might help.

1. Open Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
2. Right-click on the connection you're using and click on 'Properties'.
3. Select 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)' and click 'Properties'.
4. Choose the 'Use the following DNS server addresses' option.
5. Input 8.8.8.8 in 'Preferred DNS server' and 8.8.4.4 in 'Alternate DNS server'.
6. Click 'OK' and check if your issue is resolved.

**Verify your Hosts File:**

This file is used by your operating system to map hostnames to IP addresses. If this file is modified (usually by malicious software) it can lead to certain websites being blocked.

1. Navigate to 'C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts' and open the 'hosts' file with Notepad.
2. If you spot any suspicious entries or the URLs of the websites that you're unable to access, delete those lines.
3. Save and close the file.

**Check for Malware and Malicious Programs:**

Malicious programs often modify your network settings to block certain websites. Using a trusted anti-malware software, perform a thorough scan of your system and remove any detected threats.

**Reset your Browsers:**

Sometimes, the issue might lie within your browsers' settings.

1. In each browser, go to the browser settings or options and look for an option to 'reset settings'.
2. Note that this will delete any saved bookmarks, passwords and other user data, so ensure you have a backup before proceeding.

Remember to restart your computer after performing each of the steps. If the issue persists, consider seeking the help of a professional or support from your ISP, especially if you receive certificate errors when trying to access those websites. Hope this helps!

Since the issue is only present on a specific system and specific sites somethings to check.
Hosts file for site entries
Browser extensions that can interfere
Security software that includes web filtering
If you have any hardware security devices with specific blocks in place your the problematic device

Thanks gentlemen,

All these steps have been executed. No improvement seen.

Got no third-party antivirus, or firewall. Only MS integrated Defender software is running. No virus found either after offline, or online search.

DNS provider has been changed accordingly.

Browser has been uninstalled and reinstalled.

No webfiltering set in the router either.

Please help me evaluate the content of the host file. To me it seem to be empty. Is that normal ? See attachment.

Recently I've installed and uninstalled a driver for a smart card reader equipment, called Cyberjack. ( reiner-sct.com )
It manages and handles certificates, makes authentication, electronic signatures possĂ­ble. The manufacturer denies any relevance between the driver and the a.m. technical issue.
Do you think that certificate management can cause such malfunction in internet access ?

Attachments

• hosts.jpg
    hosts.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 0
Your hosts file has the defaults so nothing there.

If you want you can download a copy of wireshark and send the pcap file that will tell what's happeing at the network level.
  1. Download and install wireshark
  2. Open your browser to a blank page
  3. Start wireshark
  4. Open a powershell prompt and type Clear-DNSClientCache
  5. Back in wireshark select your network interface to capture, the active interface will have a little traffic graph
  6. Back in the browser browse to a problematic site
  7. Once you get the error go back to wireshark and click the stop button red square
  8. File save as pcap or pcapng
  9. Upload/share that file

Thanks Neemobeer,

That's what I have done. (I am fortunate enough, that Wireshark.org belongs to those sites, which load properly, not like many other URLs.) Huhhh....

Actually I find two items where traffic sign is associated with on the WS user interface. ( see attachment)
So I executed these steps for both active interfaces, if at all both are interfaces.

Are the contents in the attachments informative enough to detect the underlying cause ?

Edit : ... Just realized that Windowsforum does not allow me to attach the .pcap , pcapng files, those fail to show up in my post. As a workaround let me attempt to add a screenshot of the .pcap files instead.

Other than that, it raises my eyebrow on the ipconfig /all results, that the "Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.144.36(Preferred)" is unusual to me. It always used to be set automatically to 192.168.0.1 so far.
now it's different. Can that be considered as normal ?
(anyway, neither of the above router URLs load, both return the error in subject of this thread. )

WireS.jpg

Attachments

• WS_Loopback_JPG.jpg
    WS_Loopback_JPG.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 0
  • WS_WifiJPG.jpg
    WS_WifiJPG.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 0
  • ipconfig_2.jpg
    ipconfig_2.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ipconfigall_1.jpg
    ipconfigall_1.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You'll need to zip the pcap, or throw it in online storage and link to it. Also, you'll want to capture on the interface called 'Wi-Fi'

A 169. address is an issue, that would mean your device isn't getting an address from DHCP for IPv4. However, you do have a valid IPv6 address so it's likely using that

Ahh I think I know what your issue is. So not all websites are compatible with IPv6. lastpass.com is not, but wireshark.org is. You can confirm here IPv6 Compatibility Checker - Check if a Domain Supports IPv6

So the question is why don't you have an IPv4 address and also do you not have one externally? Search for "what is my ip" and see if you get only IPv6 or if you have an IPv4 address

Thanks Neemobeer,

- Attached you'll find the zipped versions of Wireshark's .pcapng results, as well as a cbs.log file.

- Whatismyip.com returned the result as depicted on the attached screenshot. :
public IPv4 --> Not detected.
public IPv6 --> listed

Is it vitally important for the computer to have an IPv4 address assigned ?

- (Edited ) : DNSchecker.org confirmed, that
> most sites which load properly ARE indeed IPv6 compatible ( kurier.at, index.hu, idokep.hu, youtube.com, ... ( an exception is https:// carelink.minimed. com ) ), whereas
> sites, which do not load at all, are NOT IPv6 compatible.

So the questions filter down to: how can I restore the former configuration which used to allow me to access URLs not having IPv6 compatibility ?

Attachments

• CBS.zip
    173.1 KB · Views: 0
  • WS_Wifi.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IP_Addr.jpg
    IP_Addr.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks Neemobeer,

in the meantime the configuration error has been resolved.

Internet Settings -> Properties - > Restore advanced settings ( refer to attachment )

This button press has immediately remedied misconfiguration of IPv4 settings, so also the only IPv4-compatible websites are back again.

If you have an idea why this could cure the temporary desease of the network I would appreciate your expert explanation.

Intnet properties.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know that it's fully documented what all that option resets, but it does reset the network components per network adapter. We won't know what it was previously configured to, but it's possible DHCP was mis-configured on your adapter. Technically anything can programmatically change these settings.

Thanks.

I'm just an ordinary layman, so this question may sound stupid: Are DHCP settings to be configured for each computer connected to a LAN, or once you configure DHCP on the router's user interface, that will affect all computers on that particular LAN ?

Back
Top Bottom