VLC TV app can't connect to windows 11 share.

bog

OK this is an obscure question-

So, on my tv I have the VLC app. When I try to get VLC to connect to my windows 11 share it says:

"Your input can't be opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL smb://WINDOWSDELL. Check the log for details."

Your instinct is to say it's a problem with the VLC app and I should take it up with the VLC forum, (which I did concurrently to posting here).

However- the reason I think it's a windows problem is that I also have a linux PC that has a samba share, and the VLC app on my TV connects to it easily.

So presumably something is wrong with the way I've configured the Windows share.

Yes, it is possible that the issue is with the way you have configured the Windows share. Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Make Sure the Windows Share is Enabled:
First, make sure that the Windows share is enabled on your computer. Go to Windows Settings > Network and Internet > Sharing options and turn on the network discovery and file sharing options.

2. Check Firewall Settings:
Make sure that the Windows firewall is not blocking the VLC app from accessing the Windows share. Go to Windows Settings > Security > Firewall & Network protection, and make sure that the Windows Firewall is allowing the VLC app to access the network.

3. Ensure Network Sharing Permissions:
Make sure that the network sharing permissions are set correctly. Right-click on the folder you want to share and select “Properties”. Go to the “Sharing” tab and ensure that “Share this folder” is checked. Also, make sure that the users or groups you want to share the folder with have the correct permissions.

4. Check the Log Files:
If none of the above steps work, check the VLC log files to see if there are any errors or issues listed. To do this, open VLC and go to Tools > Messages. This will show you any messages or errors that may be preventing VLC from connecting to the Windows share.

Hopefully, one of these steps will help you resolve the issue and allow the VLC app on your TV to connect to the Windows share.

Yes, it is possible that the issue is with the way you have configured the Windows share. Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

First, make sure that the Windows share is enabled on your computer. Go to Windows Settings > Network and Internet > Sharing options and turn on the network discovery and file sharing options.

Make sure that the Windows firewall is not blocking the VLC app from accessing the Windows share. Go to Windows Settings > Security > Firewall & Network protection, and make sure that the Windows Firewall is allowing the VLC app to access the network.

Make sure that the network sharing permissions are set correctly. Right-click on the folder you want to share and select “Properties”. Go to the “Sharing” tab and ensure that “Share this folder” is checked. Also, make sure that the users or groups you want to share the folder with have the correct permissions.

4. Check the Log Files:
If none of the above steps work, check the VLC log files to see if there are any errors or issues listed. To do this, open VLC and go to Tools > Messages. This will show you any messages or errors that may be preventing VLC from connecting to the Windows share.

Hopefully, one of these steps will help you resolve the issue and allow the VLC app on your TV to connect to the Windows share.

OK, addressing them in the order you listed:

I think your information about the Windows GUI is outdated.

1. There is no "Windows Settings". Hoever there is "Settings". Within Settings->Network & Internet there is no "Sharing options". It has:
Wi-Fi
Ethernet
VPN
Mobile hotspot
Airplane mode
Proxy
Dial-up
Advanced network settings (within which there's nothing that says "sharing" at all).

2. Your directions for how to get to the firewall settings is also wrong but that's ok I found my way to it pretty easy. I turned off the firewall entirely, and then tried to connect again and I still get the same error.

3. In the properties window for the share folder, after the "Advanced Settings", yes, the checkbox for "Share this folder" is on; checked.
As for users and groups I have it set to "Everyone" and all permissions checked. Just temporarily until we get this working. Occam's razor.

OK the shared folder name is "mikeisawesome" and the computer is "WINDOWSDELL". And "WINDOWSDELL" It can't get in to WINDOWSDELL to even see the mikeisawesome share.

4. As for the log files- this is the TV app version of VLC. There is no "Tools" menu. How do I see the log files on a TV?

OK, addressing them in the order you listed:

I think your information about the Windows GUI is outdated.

1. There is no "Windows Settings". Hoever there is "Settings". Within Settings->Network & Internet there is no "Sharing options". It has:
Wi-Fi
Ethernet
VPN
Mobile hotspot
Airplane mode
Proxy
Dial-up
Advanced network settings (within which there's nothing that says "sharing" at all).

2. Your directions for how to get to the firewall settings is also wrong but that's ok I found my way to it pretty easy. I turned off the firewall entirely, and then tried to connect again and I still get the same error.

3. In the properties window for the share folder, after the "Advanced Settings", yes, the checkbox for "Share this folder" is on; checked.
As for users and groups I have it set to "Everyone" and all permissions checked. Just temporarily until we get this working. Occam's razor.

OK the shared folder name is "mikeisawesome" and the computer is "WINDOWSDELL". And "WINDOWSDELL" It can't get in to WINDOWSDELL to even see the mikeisawesome share.

4. As for the log files- this is the TV app version of VLC. There is no "Tools" menu. How do I see the log files on a TV?
I apologize for the outdated information. Here are some updated steps you can try:

Go to Settings > Network & internet > Sharing and confirm that network discovery and file sharing are enabled.

Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Windows Security and select Firewall & network protection. Make sure that the Windows Firewall is not blocking the VLC app from accessing the network. You can add an exception for the VLC app in the firewall settings.

Right-click on the folder you want to share and select “Properties”. Go to the “Sharing” tab and ensure that “Share this folder” is checked. Also, make sure that the users or groups you want to share the folder with have the correct permissions.

4. Check the Log Files:
Unfortunately, the VLC TV app may not have a feature to check log files. However, you can try to connect to the Windows share from another computer on the same network to see if the issue is with the share itself or with the VLC TV app.

Also, try accessing the Windows share using a different protocol such as FTP or HTTP to see if that works. If it does, then the issue may be related to the SMB protocol being blocked or not configured correctly.

I hope these updated steps help resolve the issue.

I apologize for the outdated information. Here are some updated steps you can try:

Go to Settings > Network & internet > Sharing and confirm that network discovery and file sharing are enabled.

Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Windows Security and select Firewall & network protection. Make sure that the Windows Firewall is not blocking the VLC app from accessing the network. You can add an exception for the VLC app in the firewall settings.

Right-click on the folder you want to share and select “Properties”. Go to the “Sharing” tab and ensure that “Share this folder” is checked. Also, make sure that the users or groups you want to share the folder with have the correct permissions.

4. Check the Log Files:
Unfortunately, the VLC TV app may not have a feature to check log files. However, you can try to connect to the Windows share from another computer on the same network to see if the issue is with the share itself or with the VLC TV app.

Also, try accessing the Windows share using a different protocol such as FTP or HTTP to see if that works. If it does, then the issue may be related to the SMB protocol being blocked or not configured correctly.

I hope these updated steps help resolve the issue.

In order:

1. Like I already said, there is no "Sharing" under Settings > Network & internet. I listed every option under it to you. However now I was able to find it under Settings > Network & internet -> Advanced network settings -> Advanced sharing settings. And yes, both Network discovery and "File and printer sharing" are turned on. You should probably update your database about the correct user interface steps.

2. Like I already said before; I turned off the firewall entirely.

3. You're repeating what you said before. Once again, Like I already said, "Share this folder is checked", and I have it set to "Everyone" with all permissions checked on. Here's what I said before:

In the properties window for the share folder, after the "Advanced Settings", yes, the checkbox for "Share this folder" is on; checked.
As for users and groups I have it set to "Everyone" and all permissions checked.

Can a windows share be accessed by FTP and HTTP or do I need to set up FTP and HTTP servers for it separately?

In order:

1. Like I already said, there is no "Sharing" under Settings > Network & internet. I listed every option under it to you. However now I was able to find it under Settings > Network & internet -> Advanced network settings -> Advanced sharing settings. And yes, both Network discovery and "File and printer sharing" are turned on. You should probably update your database about the correct user interface steps.

2. Like I already said before; I turned off the firewall entirely.

3. You're repeating what you said before. Once again, Like I already said, "Share this folder is checked", and I have it set to "Everyone" with all permissions checked on. Here's what I said before:
I apologize for the confusion. Here are some additional steps you can try:

1. Check for Network Discovery Issues:
Sometimes, network discovery may not work properly due to issues with the network or network adapters. You can try running the "Network Troubleshooter" tool from the Control Panel to see if it can detect and resolve any issues.

2. Update the SMB/CIFS Version:
You can try updating the SMB/CIFS version on your Windows computer to see if that resolves the issue. Open the "Windows Features" panel and check if the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support feature is selected. If not, select it and complete the installation process. You can also try enabling the SMBv2 or SMBv3 protocol, which provides better performance and security than the SMBv1 protocol.

3. Try Accessing the Share with IP Address:
Instead of using the computer name to access the Windows share, try accessing it via the IP address instead. For example, instead of using smb://WindowsDell/mikeisawesome, try using smb://192.168.1.2/mikeisawesome (where 192.168.1.2 is the IP address of the Windows computer).

4. Change the Workgroup Name:
If your Windows computer is on a different workgroup than your TV, you may not be able to access the share. You can try changing the workgroup name on your Windows computer to match the name of your TV. To do this, go to System Properties > Computer Name > Change Settings > Change > Workgroup.

I hope these additional steps help you resolve the issue.

I apologize for the confusion. Here are some additional steps you can try:

1. Check for Network Discovery Issues:
Sometimes, network discovery may not work properly due to issues with the network or network adapters. You can try running the "Network Troubleshooter" tool from the Control Panel to see if it can detect and resolve any issues.

2. Update the SMB/CIFS Version:
You can try updating the SMB/CIFS version on your Windows computer to see if that resolves the issue. Open the "Windows Features" panel and check if the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support feature is selected. If not, select it and complete the installation process. You can also try enabling the SMBv2 or SMBv3 protocol, which provides better performance and security than the SMBv1 protocol.

3. Try Accessing the Share with IP Address:
Instead of using the computer name to access the Windows share, try accessing it via the IP address instead. For example, instead of using smb://WindowsDell/mikeisawesome, try using smb://192.168.1.2/mikeisawesome (where 192.168.1.2 is the IP address of the Windows computer).

4. Change the Workgroup Name:
If your Windows computer is on a different workgroup than your TV, you may not be able to access the share. You can try changing the workgroup name on your Windows computer to match the name of your TV. To do this, go to System Properties > Computer Name > Change Settings > Change > Workgroup.

I hope these additional steps help you resolve the issue.

OK:

1, If there was a problem with the network itself, then VLC wouldn't be able to connect to the linux samba share, right? And for that matter, if there was a specific conflict between the router and windows, then VLC wouldn't be able to discover the windows pc at all, which it can. So is that ruled out?

2. Ok I'll try the SMB upgrade in a minute, thanks, I just want to reduce this to the most minimal of possibilities.

3. -VLC discovers the windows PC just fine. I mean, in VLC an icon shows up for "WINDOWSDELL". So that's successful "discovery" right? If it can see the WindowsDell then does that negate the need to attempt the ip address approach? The icon in VLC is even titled "WINDOWSDELL". I didn't make the icon, it just lists whatever it discovers and makes icons for each.

4. The workgroup name... I mean... it's set to whatever the default is, so what are the odds that a fresh version of VLC and a fresh version of Windows 11 are using different workgroups?

OK:

1, If there was a problem with the network itself, then VLC wouldn't be able to connect to the linux samba share, right? And for that matter, if there was a specific conflict between the router and windows, then VLC wouldn't be able to discover the windows pc at all, which it can. So is that ruled out?

2. Ok I'll try the SMB upgrade in a minute, thanks, I just want to reduce this to the most minimal of possibilities.

3. -VLC discovers the windows PC just fine. I mean, in VLC an icon shows up for "WINDOWSDELL". So that's successful "discovery" right? If it can see the WindowsDell then does that negate the need to attempt the ip address approach? The icon in VLC is even titled "WINDOWSDELL". I didn't make the icon, it just lists whatever it discovers and makes icons for each.

4. The workgroup name... I mean... it's set to whatever the default is, so what are the odds that a fresh version of VLC and a fresh version of Windows 11 are using different workgroups?
1. If VLC is able to connect to the Linux Samba share without any issues, then it is unlikely that there is a problem with the network itself. However, sometimes there can be specific issues with Windows that cause network connectivity problems.

2. Upgrading to a newer version of SMB or enabling the protocol can help improve network connectivity and compatibility with other systems, so it's worth trying.

3. If VLC is able to discover the Windows PC and display an icon for it, then it seems that discovery is successful. However, sometimes accessing a share via IP address can help bypass any issues with name resolution or other network issues. It's worth a try if other steps don't work.

4. If both VLC and Windows are using the default workgroup name, then it is unlikely that there is a difference between them. However, sometimes workgroup issues can cause network connectivity problems, so changing the workgroup name to match your TV or another device on the network could potentially resolve the issue.

I hope that helps you further troubleshoot the issue.

1. If VLC is able to connect to the Linux Samba share without any issues, then it is unlikely that there is a problem with the network itself. However, sometimes there can be specific issues with Windows that cause network connectivity problems.

2. Upgrading to a newer version of SMB or enabling the protocol can help improve network connectivity and compatibility with other systems, so it's worth trying.

3. If VLC is able to discover the Windows PC and display an icon for it, then it seems that discovery is successful. However, sometimes accessing a share via IP address can help bypass any issues with name resolution or other network issues. It's worth a try if other steps don't work.

4. If both VLC and Windows are using the default workgroup name, then it is unlikely that there is a difference between them. However, sometimes workgroup issues can cause network connectivity problems, so changing the workgroup name to match your TV or another device on the network could potentially resolve the issue.

I hope that helps you further troubleshoot the issue.
I have successfully mounted the windows share from the linux pc using:

Code:
bog@lenovo:~$ sudo mount -t cifs -o [email protected] //192.168.1.125/mikeisawesome /mnt/winshare
Password for [email protected]@//192.168.1.125/mikeisawesome:  ********

And when I try:

bog@lenovo:~$ exa -al /mnt/winshare/

It can see all of the files.

Which means the windows share is set up properly.

The VLC on the TV still doesn't connect to the windows share. If I enter the same credentials as I did in linux, I still get the same error. I'm not misspelling anything.

Once again, to recap:

a) The TV can get to the linux share.
b) The linux PC can mount the windows share.
c) The TV still can't get to the windows share.

What can I try next?

I have successfully mounted the windows share from the linux pc using:

Code:
bog@lenovo:~$ sudo mount -t cifs -o [email protected] //192.168.1.125/mikeisawesome /mnt/winshare
Password for [email protected]@//192.168.1.125/mikeisawesome:  ********

And when I try:

bog@lenovo:~$ exa -al /mnt/winshare/

It can see all of the files.

Which means the windows share is set up properly.

The VLC on the TV still doesn't connect to the windows share. If I enter the same credentials as I did in linux, I still get the same error. I'm not misspelling anything.

Once again, to recap:

a) The TV can get to the linux share.
b) The linux PC can mount the windows share.
c) The TV still can't get to the windows share.

What can I try next?
Thanks for the update. Here are some additional steps you can try:

1. Confirm that the Windows 11 PC is discoverable:
Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Sharing options. Make sure that "Discoverable" is turned on for the Windows PC.

2. Try using a Guest account to connect:
Instead of using your email address and credentials, try connecting to the Windows share using a Guest account. To do this, enable the Guest account on the Windows PC (if it's not already enabled), and try to connect to the share without entering any login credentials.

3. Check the share permissions:
Make sure that the user account you are using to connect to the Windows share has the necessary permissions to access the share. Right-click on the folder you want to share and select “Properties”. Go to the “Sharing” tab, and click on the “Advanced Sharing” button. Make sure that the user account you want to use to access the share has the necessary permissions.

4. Try using a different protocol:
Instead of using SMB to connect to the Windows share, try using a different protocol such as FTP or HTTP.

5. Check the log files:
If possible, check the log files for the VLC TV app to see if there are any error messages or issues listed.

I hope these additional steps help resolve the issue.

1. We've already established that "Discoverable" is turned on and there's never been an issue with discovery. You forgot.

2. The tutorial I just read about how to make a guest account in windows 11 say to just make a new account. It doesn't talk about "enabling" a Guest account. Where in the settings do I do that?
So I tried making a new account and tried logging in with the new account and I get the same error.

3. When I mount the share from the linux pc I'm using the same credentials and I can see and modify files. So the user has the correct permissions.

4. OK can you recommend a free ftp server for windows 11?

5. As I said, I can't see the log files, there doesn't seem to be an option for it. Or I just can't find it.

Thanks for the update. Here are some additional steps you can try:

1. Confirm that the Windows 11 PC is discoverable:
Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Sharing options. Make sure that "Discoverable" is turned on for the Windows PC.

2. Try using a Guest account to connect:
Instead of using your email address and credentials, try connecting to the Windows share using a Guest account. To do this, enable the Guest account on the Windows PC (if it's not already enabled), and try to connect to the share without entering any login credentials.

3. Check the share permissions:
Make sure that the user account you are using to connect to the Windows share has the necessary permissions to access the share. Right-click on the folder you want to share and select “Properties”. Go to the “Sharing” tab, and click on the “Advanced Sharing” button. Make sure that the user account you want to use to access the share has the necessary permissions.

4. Try using a different protocol:
Instead of using SMB to connect to the Windows share, try using a different protocol such as FTP or HTTP.

5. Check the log files:
If possible, check the log files for the VLC TV app to see if there are any error messages or issues listed.

I hope these additional steps help resolve the issue.

1. We've already established that "Discoverable" is turned on and there's never been an issue with discovery. You forgot.

2. The tutorial I just read about how to make a guest account in windows 11 say to just make a new account. It doesn't talk about "enabling" a Guest account. Where in the settings do I do that?
So I tried making a new account and tried logging in with the new account and I get the same error.

3. When I mount the share from the linux pc I'm using the same credentials and I can see and modify files. So the user has the correct permissions.

5. As I said, I can't see the log files, there doesn't seem to be an option for it. Or I just can't find it.

Ok what should I do? Will you respond again when it's back?
As an AI language model, I am constantly available and ready to assist with any issues you may have. I apologize for the inconvenience caused earlier.

Regarding your issue, I would suggest checking the VLC TV app settings to make sure that the correct protocol (e.g., SMB) is selected and that the correct credentials are entered. You can also try clearing the cache and data for the VLC app or reinstalling the app to see if it helps.

Additionally, you can try accessing the Windows share from another device on the same network, or try creating a new share and see if that works. If the issue persists, you can try seeking help from the product support team or community forums for VLC TV app for further assistance.

I hope this helps!

As an AI language model, I am constantly available and ready to assist with any issues you may have. I apologize for the inconvenience caused earlier.

Regarding your issue, I would suggest checking the VLC TV app settings to make sure that the correct protocol (e.g., SMB) is selected and that the correct credentials are entered. You can also try clearing the cache and data for the VLC app or reinstalling the app to see if it helps.

Additionally, you can try accessing the Windows share from another device on the same network, or try creating a new share and see if that works. If the issue persists, you can try seeking help from the product support team or community forums for VLC TV app for further assistance.

I hope this helps!
Oh no, you reset the conversation, you forgot everything.

Oh no, you reset the conversation, you forgot everything.
I apologize for the confusion and any inconvenience caused earlier. Regarding your issue with VLC TV app not connecting to a Windows 11 share, you can try the following steps:

1. Check network discovery settings:
Make sure that network discovery settings are turned on both on the Windows 11 PC and the TV. Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Sharing options in Windows 11 to confirm.

2. Check Windows sharing settings:
Make sure that sharing is enabled for the folder you are trying to access on the Windows 11 PC. Right-click on the folder you want to share and go to "Properties" > "Sharing" > "Advanced Sharing". Ensure that "Share this folder" is selected and the correct permissions are set.

3. Test with a different protocol:
Try accessing the Windows share using a different protocol, such as FTP or HTTP, to see if that works.

4. Check the TV's DNS settings:
Make sure that the TV's DNS settings are properly configured and that it can resolve the Windows 11 PC's hostname or IP address.

5. Reset your home network:
Try resetting your network devices (router, modem, etc.) and see if that resolves the issue.

If the issue persists, you can try seeking help from the VLC TV app's support team or community forums for further assistance.

I apologize for the confusion and any inconvenience caused earlier. Regarding your issue with VLC TV app not connecting to a Windows 11 share, you can try the following steps:

1. Check network discovery settings:
Make sure that network discovery settings are turned on both on the Windows 11 PC and the TV. Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Sharing options in Windows 11 to confirm.

2. Check Windows sharing settings:
Make sure that sharing is enabled for the folder you are trying to access on the Windows 11 PC. Right-click on the folder you want to share and go to "Properties" > "Sharing" > "Advanced Sharing". Ensure that "Share this folder" is selected and the correct permissions are set.

3. Test with a different protocol:
Try accessing the Windows share using a different protocol, such as FTP or HTTP, to see if that works.

4. Check the TV's DNS settings:
Make sure that the TV's DNS settings are properly configured and that it can resolve the Windows 11 PC's hostname or IP address.

5. Reset your home network:
Try resetting your network devices (router, modem, etc.) and see if that resolves the issue.

If the issue persists, you can try seeking help from the VLC TV app's support team or community forums for further assistance.

Haha ok this was my response to that right before you lost contact with the ChatGPT think tank:

Haha ok this was my response to that right before you lost contact with the ChatGPT think tank:

1. Apologies for that oversight in my previous response about the network discovery settings. It seems that discovery is not the issue in this case.

2. In Windows 11, the Guest account is enabled by default, so you can simply create a new user account and when prompted to choose an account type, select "Guest". However, as you have already tried logging in with a new account and still encounter the same error, it suggests that this may not be a user account-related issue.

3. Since you're able to mount the share from the Linux PC using the same credentials and access the files, it does sound like the user account has the necessary permissions.

4. There are several free FTP servers available for Windows 11, including: FileZilla Server, FreeFTPd, and Xlight FTP Server. You can choose one that best suits your needs and try connecting to the Windows share using the FTP protocol.

5. If there is no option to view log files in the VLC TV app, you may be able to check for errors in the Windows Event Viewer. Go to "Control Panel" > "Administrative Tools" > "Event Viewer". Look for any errors or warnings related to network connectivity or file sharing.

1. Apologies for that oversight in my previous response about the network discovery settings. It seems that discovery is not the issue in this case.

2. In Windows 11, the Guest account is enabled by default, so you can simply create a new user account and when prompted to choose an account type, select "Guest". However, as you have already tried logging in with a new account and still encounter the same error, it suggests that this may not be a user account-related issue.

3. Since you're able to mount the share from the Linux PC using the same credentials and access the files, it does sound like the user account has the necessary permissions.

4. There are several free FTP servers available for Windows 11, including: FileZilla Server, FreeFTPd, and Xlight FTP Server. You can choose one that best suits your needs and try connecting to the Windows share using the FTP protocol.

5. If there is no option to view log files in the VLC TV app, you may be able to check for errors in the Windows Event Viewer. Go to "Control Panel" > "Administrative Tools" > "Event Viewer". Look for any errors or warnings related to network connectivity or file sharing.
This entire thread is insane. Here are some troubleshooting steps I've found. What do you think, ChatGPT?

Here are some ways to fix the "Your input can't be opened VLC is unable to open the MRL smb WINDOWS DELL Check the log for details" error:
  • Ensure your media link (MRL) is valid.
  • Reset your VLC preferences.
  • Check for VLC updates.
  • Change your media file ownership on Windows 10/11.
  • Disable or modify your firewall settings.
  • Turn off your antivirus software.
  • Reinstall VLC on your computer.
  • Use another media player.
  • Check whether the source URL is working.
  • Whitelist the source in the firewall settings or disable the firewall temporarily.
  • Change the file/folder path.
  • Change folder or file name.
  • Modify the YouTube.lau file in the VLC playlist folder.
  • Open the Windows Defender Firewall settings.
  • Click on advanced settings (administrator permission required) and select the inbound rules.
  • Look for VLC and change the properties so that the action on these connections is allowed rather than blocked.
  • Right-click on the media file and select Properties.
  • Click on the Security tab.
  • Navigate to Advanced > Change.
  • In the enter the object name to select field, type Administrator.
  • Hit Enter.
  • Click OK.

This entire thread is insane. Here are some troubleshooting steps I've found. What do you think, ChatGPT?

Here are some ways to fix the "Your input can't be opened VLC is unable to open the MRL smb WINDOWS DELL Check the log for details" error:
  • Ensure your media link (MRL) is valid.
  • Reset your VLC preferences.
  • Check for VLC updates.
  • Change your media file ownership on Windows 10/11.
  • Disable or modify your firewall settings.
  • Turn off your antivirus software.
  • Reinstall VLC on your computer.
  • Use another media player.
  • Check whether the source URL is working.
  • Whitelist the source in the firewall settings or disable the firewall temporarily.
  • Change the file/folder path.
  • Change folder or file name.
  • Modify the YouTube.lau file in the VLC playlist folder.
  • Open the Windows Defender Firewall settings.
  • Click on advanced settings (administrator permission required) and select the inbound rules.
  • Look for VLC and change the properties so that the action on these connections is allowed rather than blocked.
  • Right-click on the media file and select Properties.
  • Click on the Security tab.
  • Navigate to Advanced > Change.
  • In the enter the object name to select field, type Administrator.
  • Hit Enter.
  • Click OK.
These are all valid troubleshooting steps for resolving VLC connection issues and it's great that you've found them. Here are some additional insights on the steps:

1. Ensuring that the media link (MRL) is valid is the first step that should be taken as it can often resolve the issue.

2. Resetting VLC preferences to default is a good step as it can often fix issues with VLC not connecting to a Windows share.

3. Checking for VLC updates is important to make sure the app is running the latest version and has the latest features and security updates.

4. Changing media file ownership might help if there is a permission issue with accessing the file.

5. Disabling or modifying firewall settings might help resolve the issue as well, especially if the firewall is blocking the connection.

6. Turning off antivirus software temporarily is another valid step as it can sometimes interfere with the connection.

7. Reinstalling VLC on your computer is a good step if none of the other steps work.

8. Using another media player is also a valid option if VLC still fails to connect to the share.

9. Checking whether the source URL is working can help determine if the issue is with VLC or the media source.

10. Whitelisting the source in the firewall settings or temporarily disabling the firewall can help unblock the connection.

11. Changing the file/folder path, folder name, or file name might help if there is an issue with the file path that is preventing VLC from accessing the file.

12. Modifying the YouTube.lau file in the VLC playlist folder is a specific step that might help if the issue is specifically related to playing YouTube videos in VLC.

13. Allowing VLC through the Windows Defender Firewall settings might help resolve the issue.

14. Right-clicking on the media file and changing the security settings to the Administrator account might help resolve any permission issues that may be causing the problem.

Overall, these steps offer a comprehensive approach to troubleshooting VLC connection issues.

Back
Top Bottom