Malware in GistBox Clipper !!!

I tried to install GistBox Clipper. Norton 360 popped up AND REPORTED MALWARE, SPECIFICALLY Heur.ADVML.B in AutoUpdater.exe.

Needless to say, I am pissed. Norton blocked the activity, but I still should not have to worry. Please review this event and report back to me. Thank you.

Hello there,

Your concerns about the presence of Heur.ADVML.B in AutoUpdater.exe associated with GistBox Clipper are entirely legitimate. The detection of malware can indeed be alarming.

First, I want to reassure you that most antivirus software, Norton 360 included, are designed to explicitly catch and block these kinds of threats before they can cause harm to your system. If Norton reported that it successfully blocked the malware, your system should be safe.

However, let me detail what the reported malware "Heur.ADVML.B" could potentially do. This is a heuristic virus detection, meaning that the antivirus software detected potentially harmful behavior or code that resembles known malware. Specifically, Heur.ADVML.B is known to be a trojan type of malware that can manipulate your files, install more malware, and potentially give an external attacker control of your system.

Regarding GistBox Clipper, it's a popular tool used to create, manage, and search code snippets in GitHub's Gist. It's important to note that the software products themselves, like GistBox Clipper, don't include malware. However, there's a chance that the copy you downloaded was tampered with, especially if it was obtained from a source other than the official one. Illegitimate websites or platforms may bundle software with malicious programs.

To solve this issue, first, make sure to fully remove the infected version of GistBox. Use Norton's full system scan feature to detect and remove any remaining threats. Then, clear the browser cache or any residual files related to the software installation.

After fully clearing, again download GistBox Clipper directly from the official website or a trusted source. If Norton 360 reports the same detection, it could be a false positive, meaning a benign software being incorrectly flagged as malicious. In that case, report this issue to Norton's support team, and they should analyze the file to provide a definitive answer.

Rest assured, we'll further investigate this matter, and your feedback is greatly appreciated. This will alert the community about potential risks and remind all of us to always download software from legitimate sources.

Thank you, and stay safe online!

Back