How do you recover data/repair from a drive failure in Windows 10 Storage Spaces?

curtthurston

How do you recover data/repair from a drive failure in Windows 10 Storage Spaces?

I have 4X 4TB drives configured as RAID 1 (mirroring). I assumed that meant that a copy of the data was also stored on the other drives since only 8TB of the 16TB is available. I ID'd the failing drive and replaced it.I'm unable to remove the drive from the pool even though it's physically uninstalled. All 4 HD's (3 original, one new) show up as OK in Storage Spaces. I don't see the pool in Explorer.

The new one with 0,23% used says OK, with the options "rename" (like the other 3) and "prepare for removal". How do I access the existing data that's on the 75% of the original pool, or get the pool to show up?
I tried Drive optimization but it sat at 0% for hours.

What's the point of RAID if all your data is lost every time there's a failure. The is the 2nd time I've had a SS failure. First time I just said good bye to all the data, reformatted everything and started over.
I'm beginning to think I'll just have 16TB of space and use one or two for daily incremental backups. Would RAID 5 allow me to access data after a single drive failure? TIA

Attachments

• Screenshot SS 2024-04-14 175049.png
    Screenshot SS 2024-04-14 175049.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom