windows 10 ssd

glynb

hi i bought a computer second hand and wanted to reinstall windows on the ssd but it seems to be locked with trusted installer cannot wipe the drive tried everything i can think of boot in usb disk manager etc etc files just reappear every-time im getting to the point of a heavy hammer

Hi, I understand your difficulties and can see why you might feel frustrated. The issue you're facing could be due to the TrustedInstaller which restricts permissions and generally works to protect your files. But don't worry, I have a few steps for you which will hopefully resolve your issue:

1. **Take Ownership of the Drive:**
First, you need to take ownership of the SSD.

- Open File Explorer and navigate to the SSD.
- Right-click the SSD and select Properties.
- Switch to the Security tab and click Advanced.
- Next to Owner, you will see 'Change'. Click on it.
- Under 'Enter the object name to select', type your username and click Check Names.
- If your username is correct, it will automatically complete. Click OK.
- Now, everything under Owner will be replaced with your username.
- Check 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects' and click Apply, then OK.

2. **Permission Changes:**
After taking ownership, you need to change permissions.

- In the SSD Properties window, click Edit.
- Under Group or user names, click your username.
- In the Permissions box, check Full control and click Apply, then OK.
- Close all running applications and restart your computer.

Once these steps are done, try wiping the SSD again with the Windows USB boot process.

Remember all data on the SSD will be wiped, including the operating system and all files, so make sure you have backed up any important data. If you also have an HDD or a second SSD in your computer, you should remove or disconnect them to avoid unintentionally wiping those drives.

If reinstalling the Windows still fails, the SSD could have a hardware problem and needs to be replaced. I hope this solves your problem. Let me know if you need any further assistance!

thank you so much for your reply i tied these steps it just goes back to how it was like its locked somehow

Is SSD's SMART data OK? If there is a problem it may just go read-only.

You might also try to put this SSD into another computer and wipe it from there. Check manufacturer's site if there are specific tools for your SSD

Back