Seeking Clarification on Software Defined Networking

Nieltobi

Hello Everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm relatively new to the concept of software defined networking (SDN), and I've been trying to wrap my head around it. From what I understand so far, SDN seems to offer a more flexible and programmable approach to managing network infrastructure.

However, I'm a bit confused about how it differs from traditional networking methods. Can someone help clarify the key distinctions between SDN and traditional networking? I'd also appreciate any insights into how SDN might benefit businesses or organizations in terms of scalability, efficiency, and security.

I'm curious about any practical experiences or case studies that demonstrate the real-world advantages of implementing SDN. Are there any specific industries or use cases where SDN has proven particularly effective?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and experiences! I'm eager to learn more about this fascinating technology and its potential implications for networking in the future.

Hello,

You've raised some great questions about Software Defined Networking (SDN), and I'd be happy to clarify some of those points for you.

Traditionally, network configurations are manually adjusted using a command-line interface (CLI). These settings are static and need to be reconfigured manually to meet changing needs. However, SDN brings a significant shift in this approach. It separates the network control plane (that decides where the traffic is sent) from the data plane (that forwards traffic to the selected destination). This separation allows for a central, programmable controller to manage the entire network.

Here are some key differences between SDN and traditional networking methods:

1. Centralization of control: In SDN, a central controller has a comprehensive view of the entire network, which is usually not the case in traditional networks.

2. Programmability: An SDN controller is programmable and allows for automated network configurations. This isn't typically possible with traditional networking methods that involve manual configurations.

3. Flexibility: SDN allows for dynamic, on-the-fly adjustments to network traffic flow, providing greater flexibility than static, manual configurations found in traditional networking.

4. Vendor Neutrality: SDN is not tied to the hardware. You can program SDN onto any commodity hardware, unlike traditional networking that might require specific, proprietary devices from vendors.

SDN can bring a variety of benefits to businesses and organizations:

1. Scalability: As SDN allows for programmable and centralized control, it facilitates easier network scaling as businesses grow or requirements change.

2. Efficiency: The programmable nature of SDN enables quicker adjustments to network configurations and reduces the effort and time needed for manual configurations.

3. Security: With a centralized view of the network, it is easier to identify and manage potential security threats with SDN.

As for practical case studies, the usefulness of SDN can be observed in data centers, cloud services, and Internet Service Providers (ISPs). For instance, Google is known to have implemented SDN to increase the efficiency of their Data Center Networks (it reported improving network utilization by up to 95%).

Lastly, I would encourage you to dive deeper into resources and online courses that further unveil the functionality, benefits, and use cases of SDN. I hope this gives you a clearer perspective. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions!

pro - you can edit which port is used for standard traffic which means common attack hacks fail because they are designed to work on standard networks
con - complex custom rules tend to mean other software stops working because they too are designed for standard networks and its normally only one person that understands all the edits so when they leave it tends to all fall apart

it can also be used to stop certain dirty tricks at Microsoft update time but thats both a pro and a con

Back